Are you interested in writing as a career? Craig Heller joins us today to share his story and how he got into the business. As a tv writer and screenwriter, Craig spent fifteen years working in the entertainment industry winning four Emmys and a Writers Guild award. Craig then transitioned to working with students on their college essays. He enjoys helping students find their unique voice.
- Establish a network, maintain and grow it.
- Persistence, patience, adaptability, and having a sense of humor are a must in the entertainment industry.
- Learning how to negotiate the editing process is key.
- All writers need a stock line to handle notes from studios to maintain some control over their work.
- Writing is a very hard career to break into and sustain. Have something else as a means of support.
- Learn everything that you can about the industry and keep up to date on your skills. If you are a writer in the entertainment industry you should know about acting, directing, and production.
- Know a lot – don’t focus on just one thing.
- Be patient – you have to wait your turn to some extent.
- Believe in yourself – if you do not, no one else will.
- Write what you know.
- Show business is a social business – you have to make an effort to network.
- Don’t become a hack – keep your standards high.
- Get a good agent, Every writer needs representation when entering the business.
- It’s show business, not show art. Love the art in yourself not yourself in the art.
- Advice for students for essays – show don’t tell.
Important Resources and Links:
Meet Craig Heller
Although Craig Heller has written for film, television, books, theater, newspapers, and some of the world’s largest corporations, and despite his four Emmy’s and Writers Guild awards, no endeavor has given Craig as much satisfaction as assisting students with their college application essays. In business since 2005, his service is comprehensive and highly individual, dedicated to helping students make their application essays the best writing they have ever done. To learn more, log on to https://collegeessaysolutions.com.
Thank you, Craig, for joining us today to share your experience working in the entertainment industry as a tv writer and screenwriter. Aspiring writers need to have a sense of humor along with persistence, patience, and tough skin. The entertainment business is not easy and many writers have multiple projects in the works to have as many opportunities as possible. Everyone will have an opinion on how you can improve your work. Be open to constructive criticism but also, do not cave into all the suggestions. Students, write about what you know best and show do not tell. To learn more about Craig, check out College Essay Solutions.