Episode 72: Creating a College List with Financial Fit in Mind with Guest Liane Crane
As a parent of 3 college students, Liane Crane has experience reading tuition bills and understanding the hidden costs of college. She started her business, The College Dollar, to help other parents and students understand the true costs of college as they start or refine their college list. Whether you have a high school student or a current college student, Liane offers tips to make sure you and your student are financially aware each step of the way.
- Include financial fit in your college discussions with your student earlier rather than later.
- Create a balanced list not only focused on academic fit but also from a financial fit with the three different tiers – reach, match, and safety.
- Talk with the financial aid office during visits.
- Investigate what high school credits can be applied to college credit
- Review the tuition bills and financial aid forms in detail to make sure you understand everything and there are no surprises or mistakes.
- Top 3 Financial Tips for recent graduates
- College graduates – ask for help and advice when setting up a repayment plan for your loans.
- Parents – talk to your students about debt and the best ways to pay off college loans.
- Community colleges are a great option as well for students if finances are a major concern.
Important Resources and Links:
Meet Liane Crane
Before becoming passionate about college finances, Liane’s background included teaching, working as a director at a non-profit agency, and working as a paralegal for a large NYC law firm. After 10 years of experience working for a college consulting company, she started her own company so she could solely focus on college finances. The College Dollar helps parents understand the true costs of college – whether their student is anticipating college or currently in college. Her specialty is helping recently graduated students understand their debt and how best to repay it. Her creation of an 11-point Tuition Bill Review for college freshmen is a best seller!
Become a College Scoops Supporter
Thank you to Liane for joining us today to share your experiences as a parent of not one but 3 current college students. Liane shared several stories of her family exploring colleges with a lens at finding a school with the right financial fit. Starting the conversation early with your son or daughter and looking at what the cost of attendance is when applying to college relieves a lot of stress. Create a balanced list not only focused on academic fit but also from a financial fit with the three different tiers – reach, match, and safety. Talk with the financial aid office during visits but also take the time to review all financial aid forms you receive to ensure there are no errors. Graduates – ask for help and advice when setting up a repayment plan for your loans.
If you or someone you know would like to be a guest on our show, please send us an email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please take a moment to review or leave a comment for us and help us share the news of College Scoops with a friend, colleague, or family member.
Sign up for our monthly newsletter and follow us on our social media.
Episode 72 Full Transcript
Episode 72 – Liane Crane