Episode 47: Office Hours with Dr. Joseph Mendes
Wondering how to hit the ground running at school? A former college professor and current high school teacher Dr. Joseph Mendes shares his tips and strategies for students. As an educator in both university and high school spheres, Dr. Mendes knows what it takes to succeed as a student and how to effectively transition into college. If you have ever wondered what to say in an email to your new professor or how to achieve success in a class, tune in this week and get the inside scoop from Dr. Mendes!
- If you have an opportunity to study abroad – Go!
- It’s important to have a social life in college, but you need to find balance. Get your work done first and then socialize
- College is a clean slate
- Take courses that sound interesting to you as college is not just about taking classes with practical application, it is also about learning for the sake of learning
- Go to office hours. Professors have amazing stories to tell and are some of the coolest people you are going to meet
- The Dos and Don'ts of interacting with professors
- Be attentive in class
- Sit in the front of the class
- Keep your zoom camera on
- Tips for emailing professors
- Remember, online school is hard for your professors too
- It’s okay if you start college undeclared
Important Resources and Links:
Meet Dr. Joseph Mendes
Dr. Joseph Mendes is a faculty member in the department of English at Saint Andrew's School in Boca Raton, FL. Previously, he was a teaching fellow and adjunct professor at the University of Miami and a teaching fellow at the University of Connecticut. His primary areas of interest are experiential learning, Irish literature, and poetry and poetics. He received a BA in English from Boston College in 2005, two master's degrees from the University of Connecticut and the National University of Ireland Maynooth in 2009 and 2010, and a Ph.D. in English from the University of Miami in 2015. In his spare time, he enjoys doing home projects, working out, and target shooting.
Become a College Scoops Supporter
Thank you Dr. Mendes for joining us today to share your tips for how students can succeed in high school and college. College should and can be fun but in order to succeed and ensure a successful transition from high school to college, make sure to get your work done first and then engage in campus life. Be present in class – sit in the front, engage in class, attend office hours, and get to know your professor. Especially during these times of virtual learning – it is more important than ever to “show up” to class prepared and ready to participate. When addressing professors, Dr. Mendes offers some tips on etiquette and some fun ways to engage with your classmates and professors online. College is a chance to start over, take courses that sound interesting, and enjoy each and every moment as college goes by fast.
You can find all of our show notes and links to the helpful resources mentioned throughout over conversation on our website at collegescoops.com/podcasts. Please take a couple of minutes to rate, review, and subscribe to CS.
If you or someone you know would like to be a guest on our show, please send us an email at email@example.com.
Sign up for our monthly newsletter and follow us on our social media.
Episode 47 Full Transcript