Making a strong first impression, whether it is on paper or meeting someone new, is very important. On today’s podcast, we are joined by Brenda Bernstein to discuss how to create a killer LinkedIn profile. She shares with us several tips and strategies on how to start, writing a strong summary, and suggestions for selecting a professional photo. Make sure to grab a pen and get ready to take some notes!
- Create a LinkedIn profile, even if you don’t think you know enough about it
- Maximize the effectiveness of your LinkedIn profile
- Make sure to choose a professional LinkedIn photo, as this is the first thing that people see
- Select a background image because it can further show your interest
- For headlines, include descriptive and important keywords, such as your major, interests, and languages. This is how recruiters search for potential interns or employees
- For the “About” section, write a summary of your interests that will allow your personality to shine
- Instead of a headshot, you can select a video instead to create a cover story if you want a live image, rather than a static image
- For the “Activity” section, recruiters are looking to see how active you are and whether or not you are engaged with a certain community
- Make value-added comments
- Make the “Experience” section more conversational than your resume. Here, you can still convey your accomplishments through bullet points. But, you can also open with a few personal sentences
- Endorse and recommend other people on LinkedIn. The more you give back, the more your profile will develop and show to others
Important Resources and Links:
Meet Brenda Bernstein
Brenda Bernstein is the Founder and Senior Editor at The Essay Expert LLC and best-selling author of How to Write a KILLER LinkedIn Profile – just released in its 16th edition. A compelling speaker, award-winning businesswoman and top-certified resume writer, Brenda has worked with hundreds of students and professionals who understand the value of an effective LinkedIn profile. Her book has been featured in Fortune and Forbes Magazines and continues to be a go-to resource for professionals who want to get results on LinkedIn. Brenda holds an English degree from Yale and a law degree from NYU. She lives in New Haven, Connecticut and is an avid health enthusiast, yogi, swimmer, and student of leadership.
Thank you Brenda for sharing all the helpful strategies on how to create a professional LinkedIn profile that is on target to reach the desired audience that we are looking to connect with. You also provided many insights on how to choose the right photo, background image, and video to create a strong and compelling LinkedIn profile. Also, remember to be strategic when you are adding information to the “About” section, as this is an opportunity to provide more information about who you are and where your interests lie.