On today’s podcast, we talk to Nikkee Porcaro. As a multi-talented gymnast, former Jeopardy contestant, entrepreneur, and test prep expert, Nikkee is knowledge on how to apply one’s skills in order to be successful. In this episode, she talks to us about the pros and cons of taking standardized tests for college, as well as strategies to help you or your students succeed.
- SAT and ACT test scores do not accurately measure one’s ultimate intelligence, but they are a good way to gauge your test taking skills.
- In order to maximize your test taking efficiency, study both test prep and test taking strategies.
- “Focus on what you know rather than what you don’t” – a simple way to narrow down possible answers to difficult test questions.
- It is never too early to start studying for the SAT. Some students even start as early as middle school.
- There are many pros and cons to taking the SAT. However, the pros outweigh the cons because you can never be too careful when it comes to applying to colleges.
Important Resources and Links:
Meet Nikkee Porcaro
Nicole Andrea Porcaro (Nikkee) has been a fixture on the college admissions scene for over 15 years. Nikkee grew up in northern New Jersey and graduated from the University of Maryland, College Park, with a B.A. in Broadcast Journalism and a concentration in Sociology. She completed a citation in the College Park Scholars honors program and competed for the nationally-ranked Maryland Club Gymnastics team. After working in the worlds of promotional modeling and journalism for a few years (including stints at NBC and ESPN), Nikkee received her Master’s of Science in Education in Teaching Language and Literacy, Grades 6-12, from Purdue University, graduating summa cum laude. Nikkee is also a Harvard Global Ambassador, assisting in connecting students in the Harvard Extension school community.
In addition to her studies, Nikkee is an avid trapeze artist and aerialist, performing in multiple shows each year, and enjoys traveling the world; so far Nicole has been to seven continents and 29 countries! Nikkee was also a recent contestant on Jeopardy! (June 2021), one of the 0.01% of those who try out to hold this honor each year, as well as a contestant on MLB’s “The Catch” during the 2018 All-Star Game broadcast in Washington, D.C. She is proud that the company she started from the ground up, No Anxiety Prep, has won Washington Family Magazine’s Best SAT/ACT Prep Program in 2020 and 2021 and Best Tutoring Program Award in 2021!
Thank you Nikkee Porcaro for sharing your expertise with us about the testing process. As more and more schools become test optional, you may have wondered about the importance of standardized tests. Nikkee helps us put things into perspective by discussing the pros and cons of studying, taking, and submitting these scores and how they can affect your college admissions and candidacy for schools. Nikkee’s company, No Anxiety Prep, helps students all around the country by providing them the necessary tools so that they can succeed not only in test taking, but learning as a whole.