E58: Get Comfortable with The NYT’s Best Selling Author of The Naked Roommate – Harlan Cohen
As a parent of three, I am always looking for ways to be a better parent to support my kids, especially during these uncertain times. How can we help our kids during the college admissions journey and life beyond? Harlan’s open and honest conversations about facing, embracing, and handling rejection provide a glimpse into how we as parents can be there for our students in a supportive but not in a controlling way. How do we loosen the grip to allow them to struggle, learn, and grow? Whether your child is in middle school, high school, or college Harlan’s stories, strategies, and tips will provide you and your student with the tools and resources they need to have an incredible and meaningful college experience.
- Know as a parent everything is going to be ok in general
- Give permission to yourself to be less judgemental and give yourself grace
- The college search process should be about the experience of how can you go after what you want and have it be a joyful experience
- College is the 1st big major transition for teens to adulthood
- Helping people get comfortable with the uncomfortable – The transition to college can be uncomfortable, finding friends is not always easy, the transition can be bumpy and social media makes life really challenging projecting false reality
- The 5 Rules of Parenthood: 1) Get comfortable with the uncomfortable (parenting is not easy), 2) Don’t Panic! Think people, places, and patience, 3) Their struggles belong to them, their victories belong to you, 4) Apply the 24 Hour rule, and 5) Ask: What do you think you should do?
- Be smart about being stupid
- Universal Rejection Truth concept- the world that we live in will not always respond the way we want
- What do you want, can you articulate it and how can we help you?
- There are people in your corner but you need to be able to know how to ask for what you want. If you are ok with rejection you will succeed.
- Win and Learn mentality
- Make your 1st year at college an experiment – a year of discovery. Get engaged, take risks, and be curious.
- Live a life based on choices that align with things that give you joy
Important Resources and Links:
Meet Harlan Cohen
HARLAN COHEN is the New York Times bestselling author of the Naked Roommate series and six other titles. His books have over 1 million copies in prints in multiple languages. Harlan is a speaker who helps thousands of students, parents, educators, and professionals every year. He is also the founder and editor-in-chief of Before College TV. Harlan lives in Chicago, Illinois with his wife and three children. For more information about Harlan visit www.HelpMeHarlan.com. Follow Harlan on social media @HarlanCohen and @HelpMeHarlan.
Become a College Scoops Supporter
Thank you Harlan for taking the time to share your story and help all of the parents and students in our community to “get comfortable with the uncomfortable.” As I read your book, I laughed out loud at many of the memories I had as a college student and then as a parent trying to “help” my kids along the way. Parenting is not easy. Being a student is not either. Helping people get comfortable with the uncomfortable and accepting rejection will make us stronger. Get your three P's in order as they will be another ingredient for success: People, Places, and Patience. Make the ask and do things that bring you joy. What a great way to start the new year!
If you or someone you know would like to be a guest on our show, please send us an email email@example.com. Please take a moment to review or leave a comment for us and help us share the news of College Scoops with a friend, colleague, or family member.
Sign up for our monthly newsletter and follow us on our social media.
Episode 58 Full Transcript